Linksys WRT610N is an excellent, true simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router device for wireless/home networking needs of homes and small offices. The device supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and offers HD video streaming, file sharing, music, gaming, and hooking up devices among other miscellaneous things. Among other features offered by this device include Wi-Fi Protected Setup, cloud storage, outstanding performance, and user-friendly etc. All these features together make this excellent Linksys device, which you would love to set up for wireless, firewall, music, games, and TV etc. to make your life as easy as possible.
Step 1:- Router Setup Wizard
To setup your Linksys router with the router setup wizard, you need just the Linksys WRT610N router installation CD along with its username & password, and the username and password provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to setup your DSL/Cable Internet connection. To begin with software installation, you need not connect your router to your computer at this point as you will be instructed by the Router Setup Wizard during the course. So simply pop the Linksys WRT610N router installation CD in the drive of your computer and wait for it to automatically play. The Linksys Router Setup Wizard should pop up automatically. Click “Start Setup” (or whatever option you see thereon) on the screen and then follow the on-screen prompts to setup your Linksys WRT610N router. When prompted, connect your router to a power outlet and to your computer using appropriate cables. Set up and configure your router settings for wireless network setup or custom password as desired.
P.S. If the installation media doesn’t auto-play, go to Computer (Windows 8/Windows 7) or My Computer (XP/Vista) and double click the Linksys WRT610N router installation CD icon.
Step 2:- Browser-based Setup Utility
If you have misplaced the disk or just don’t want to go through this software installation procedure, this method is for you. It’s simple and interactive and let you quickly set up your router and configure your settings
1. Plug Linksys WRT610N router into a power outlet but don’t turn it on (we’ll do it in next steps)
2. Connect the router to the computer using the Ethernet cable
3. Connect the router to the DSL/Cable modem using the Internet cable
4. Power on the router and other devices like computer (if it’s not already turned on) and the modem
5. Check that the Power Led is solid green (not flashing). The Internet LED is lit up when the connection is made via the Internet port. This light flashes when there is a network activity via the Internet port. The Wireless light is lit up when you enable the Wireless feature. If this light flashes, it indicates a data transmission through the network.
6. When the connection is OK, open your web browser and type “192.168.1.1” (without quotes and as is) in the address bar and hit Enter. If the page is drawn blank, try “WRT610N” (without quotes and as is). The “Connect to …” page should open up. Enter the default password namely “admin” (if this is the first time you are setting up or you have never set up a custom password) in the Password box and leave the User name box blank.
7. When logged in to user interface (LINKSYS®by Cisco), the first screen you will see will be “Basic Setup”. This screen will let you configure general settings viz. language, Internet setup, Automatic Configuration and other miscellaneous things. Configure the general settings as desired. If you don’t want to configure any other setting, click “Save Settings” to save changes.
Step 3: Configure Wireless Router Settings
If you want to configure a wireless network (SSID) to wirelessly browse, stream content, share files, play games, hook up TV, Roku or other devices, and do lots more with ease and comfort and make most out of your Linksys device. To configure a wireless network, follow the steps given below.
1. Click the Wireless tab and select one of the options from “Manual” and “Wi-Fi Protected Setup”. Decide which method you want to use to set up your wireless network.
2. If you choose Manual, type the name of your SSID (wireless network name, it can be anything for e.g. Poppy), select the channel number, and create a security key (WEP or WPA-PSK etc.). Don’t forget to make a note of all the information for future purposes (if you misplace the wireless security key). Click “Save Settings” to save your settings and then begin to connect to your wireless network.
3. If you choose “Wi-Fi Protected Setup”, you can set it up in 3 ways viz. using the Wi-Fi Protected Setup button on your device (provided that the client’s device has the same button); using the Wi-Fi Protected Setup PIN number; or using your router’s PIN.
4. When done setting up your wireless network, click “Save Settings”
Refer to your Linksys WRT610N router manual to configure or modify other miscellaneous settings. Should you face any problems, call us at +1-877-907-4935 and get an expert to help you.