Outlook has a default email archiving feature known as AutoArchive that automatically backs up your mail items using the default settings. If the archiving is done properly, it frees up some space on the Exchange servers, allowing faster recovery of archived items.
Though using the AutoArchive feature in Outlook is easier than any other task on the computer, several Microsoft Outlook problems may still arise.
Also find here why auto archive not working in Outlook 2010.Glance at the issues and their fixes below and-
Below are the issues that may appear when you try to archive mail items in Outlook:
- Error message: Can’t move the items. The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied.
- Cannot archive only Inbox items but can Sent Items using the same setting
- Can not archive mails after installing new Outlook plug-in. Error message: A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?
- AutoArchive deletes emails after sometime despite changing the settings
- Cannot copy archive. The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.
- Cannot archive folders. Error message: The file C:\Documents and Settings\(my user name)\Local Settings\ ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook\archive2008.pst cannot be opened.
- Errors occurred while archiving. Look for a detailed report in your Deleted Items folder. Cannot read archive properties from folder ABC. Cannot create archiving properties. An unexpected error has occurred.
- Cannot see the archived calendar items. Error message: This message with restricted permissions cannot be viewed in the reading pane until you verify your credentials. Open the item to read the item and verify your credentials.
Check the steps below and fix mail archiving issues in your Outlook:
For the backup problem error message: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of it, give this method a try. Close Outlook and other windows and disable your antivirus program(s) or firewall one by one. Now reopen Outlook and start backing it up. It should work fine now. Check which program viz. antivirus or firewall is causing the problem and reconfigure its settings. If re-enabling the program brings up the issue back, then replace it with another one.
For cannot archive Inbox items in Outlook, try this tweak. Select Inbox in Outlook, click File> select Archive, and add the modified date to the Inbox items’ header. Click OK. It shall fix the problem. This problem was caused by AutoArchive option that does not consider the Received date as a criterion for archiving an item. Find here how to use inbox repair tool for Microsoft Outlook 2007.
If you cannot move items to the archive folder, then try this fix. Open Outlook, go to Tools > select Options> click Junk E-mail under the Preferences tab, and click to select the first option No Automatic Filtering. Mail from blocked senders is still moved to the Junk E-mail folder. Click the Apply button at the bottom right hand side, click OK, and then OK again to close the Options window. You should be able to move emails without any problem.
For the error message: This message with restricted permissions cannot be viewed in the reading pane until you verify your credentials. Open the item to read it and verify your credentials, use this fix. Click Tools > select Options> click the Other tab> select Advanced Options> and click Add-in Manager. Search for the Google Desktop Outlook Addin and disable it (you can also disable other Google plug-ins). Click Apply and/or OK.