While Microsoft Outlook is best designed to send/receive and manage emails and conduct office presentations, live meeting etc., it also has built-in features and tools that fix troubles and issues that it faces due to several reasons and helps it manage to give a neat, worry-free experience to users. These advance features make Microsoft Outlook so popular.
Inbox Repair Tool, better known as SCANPST.exe tool is one of such tools which is designed to fix Microsoft Outlook problems that can occur or recur due to recent Microsoft Office updates or corrupt PST file(s) among other reasons. The tool comes pre-installed with the Microsoft Office suite or Microsoft Outlook and hence cannot be downloaded as a separate tool.
So, if you are facing any issues related to PST file corruption, missing Outlook files, or miscellaneous reasons, Inbox Repair Tool can fix most of them. Find here how to recover accidentally deleted Outlook PST file.
Take a glance at the steps and learn to start using the built-in Inbox Repair Tool in Microsoft Outlook 2007 and automatically fixing Outlook problems.
1. Click the Start button and point to Search. In the Search Results window (Windows XP), type ‘scanpst.exe’ (without quotes) in the All or part of the file name box and select your OS drive (C:\) from the drop-down arrow below Look In. If your OS hard drive is different from C, you can change it accordingly from the drop-down arrow. If you are not sure which drive the file is located in, select both the drives at once and click the Search button. Wait for the Windows to search for the SCANPST.exe file.
2. When done, double-click the SCANPST.exe file to execute the Microsoft Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool.If you cannot see SCANPST.exe in search results, you may have to locate the file manually. If you are using Windows XP, the Scanpst.exe file for Outlook 2007 will be located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12.
3. If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, the file may be located in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12. The file may also be located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033 or C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033, or C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT. When you have found the file, double-click it to open the Inbox Repair tool. Before you start running the tool, make sure that Microsoft Outlook is closed.
4. In the Microsoft Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool dialog box, click the Browse button to look for your PST file. For Windows XP, you can look for the PST file in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. For Windows 7 and Vista, the file may be located in C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.
5. When you have located the file, click it and then click Open. Click the Start button to start scanning the problematic PST file. Wait for the scan to finish. If the tool detects an error, it will prompt you to repair it. Click the Repair button to start repairing the error(s). The tool will now automatically repair your PST file. When you see the Repair Complete message, click the OK button. Exit the tool’s window.
6. Open Microsoft Outlook and verify if the problem has been resolved or not. If the problem persists, you can contact for online Microsoft Outlook support.
Good to Know:
You can look for the SCANPST.exe file in these two locations also viz. C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Officenn or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICEnn. The word nn represents 12 for Microsoft Office 2007.